DIRECTIONS
Went to this EI workshop (DIRECTIONS) yesterday required by the government. It's a bit on the boring side but it had some of useful information.
I want to share one of the more surprising statistics I found out yesterday:
Success Rates of job searching methods (from least to most effective):
- Internet job banks (4%)
- Mass mail/Trade journals (7%)
- Newspaper Classified (5 - 24%)
- Job agencies (5 - 28%)
- Networking (33%)
- Face to face meeting, ie. job fairs (47%)
- Cold calling (69%)
- Group Job Hunting (84%)
I couldn't believe that internet job banks success rate was that low. The speaker said that since everybody has access to the internet now, the number of applicants for each job posted in the job bank significantly increases. He also mentioned that he doesn't really like job agencies in particular. Some of the agencies would take a large sum from your salary (up to 70%) and others would put ads to try to "farm your resume", which means they put up ads just to generate resumes and the job might not exist. I'm also surprised at the success rate of the cold calling, thinking that I'm hate people cold calling me, I couldn't imagine managers and HR people would want other people to be cold calling them. After he revealed the success rate of job finding methods, I gotta rethink my plan of action!!

4 comments:
Wow.. that's good to know.. thanks for the Stats!
Group Job Hunting.. What does that mean??? (Somehow I looked at it and thought Good Will Hunting... :P)
hahahhahahaha.. good will hunting...
group job hunting, that's where a bunch of people who are also looking for jobs do group exercises together, such as doing mock interviews in front of everybody so they can critique it, or everybody does 10 cold calls and if the company's hiring, they let other people know about it.
I kinda what to go to it.. but not really ready for it, a lot of group activities and cold calling..
I wonder how high the success rate is to submit resumes directly to company's website. That't not Internet job banks.
well.. I would imagine that it's a bit higher than job banks but probably still on the low side... anybody who has internet has access to it
The guy who was hosting the workshop said that Canada has the highest population percentage with access to the internet in the world. Canada's percentage is around 67% (I think) and US' percentage is around 52%. So a lot of people are accessing the same info you are.
Post a Comment